PhD Thesis Dissertation
Multimodal Analytics for Healthcare, PhD Thesis Dissertation by Carlos Torres. Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (ECE), University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), Santa Barbara, CA 93106. [pdf] [Slides][BibTex]
- Doctors Jeffrey C. Fried* (SBCH MICU) and Scott D. Hammond** (UCSF),
- UCSB ECE Professors Joao P. Hespanha, Kenneth Rose, and B. S. Manjunath (Chair)
Defended November 20th, 2017; Submitted January 15th, 2018; Conferred January 2018.
* Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital Medical Intensive Care Unit
** University of California San Francisco
HEAL: Healthcare Event and Activity Logging. Carlos Torres, Jeffrey C. Fried, B. S. Manjunath. IEEE-EMBS Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine (JTEHM). Special Issue: advanced internet things personalized healthcare system validation analysis utilization. July 2018.
Sample ICU room Events Log
MASH: A Multiview Multimodal System for Monitoring Patient Sleep. Carlos Torres, Jeffrey C. Fried, Kenneth Rose, and B. S. Manjunath. In IEEE Transactions on Multimedia. Emerging Areas: Healthcare. May 2018.
Sample Motion Summaries
RAM: Role Representation and Identification from Combined Appearance and Semantic Activity Maps. Carlos Torres, Archith J. Bency, Jeffrey C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Distributed Smart Cameras (ICDSC). Stanford, California. September 5-7, 2017.
Sample ICU Roles
Deep Eye-CU (DECU): Summarization of Patient Motion in the ICU. Carlos Torres, Kenneth Rose, Jeffrey C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. In Proceedings of European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV). Workshop on Assistive Computer Vision and Robotics (ACVR). Amsterdam, The Netherlands. October 8-16, 2016.
Eye-CU: Sleep Pose Classification for Healthcare using Multimodal Multiview Data. Carlos Torres, Victor Fragoso, Scott D. Hammond, Jeffrey C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. In IEEE Proceedings of the Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV). Lake Placid, New York. March 7-9, 2016.
MESH: Sleep Pose Recognition in an ICU From Multimodal Data and Environmental Feedback. Carlos Torres, Scott D. Hammond, Jeffrey C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. Computer Vision Systems: 10th International Conference (ICVS). Copenhagen, Denmark. July 6-9, 2015, Proceedings. Vol. 9163. Springer, 2015.
Silica as a Matrix for Encapsulating Proteins: Surface Effects on Protein Structure Assessed by Circular Dichroism Spectroscopy. Phillip J. Calabretta, Mitchell C. Chancellor, Carlos Torres, Gary R. Abel, Jr., Clayton Niehaus, Nathan J. Birtwhistle, Nada M. Khouderchah, Genet H. Zemede, and Daryl K. Journal of functional biomaterials Vol.3. No. 3 . 514-527, 2012.
Protein Adsorption onto Organically Modified Silica Glass Leads to a Different Structure than Sol-Gel Encapsulation. B. Menaa, C. Torres, M. Herrero, V. Rives, A.R.W. Gilbert, and D.K. Eggers. Biophysical journal. Vol.95. No. 8. L51-L53, 2008.
- DECU (Deep Eye-CU): Summarization of Patient Motion in the ICU. Carlos Torres, Kenneth Rose, Jeffrey C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV) – Workshop on Assistive Computer Vision and Robotics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Oct 9, 2016. [poster]
- Eye-CU: Sleep Pose Classification for Healthcare using Multimodal Multiview Data. Carlos Torres, Victor Fragoso, Scott. D. Hammond, Jeffrey.C. Fried, and B. S. Manjunath. IEEE WACV, Lake Placid, NY. March 7 2016. [poster]
- Embedded 3-D Systems for Action Recognition. Isaac Flores, Carlos Torres, and B. S. Manjunath. University of California Santa Barbara, Summer Undergraduate Research Colloquium, Santa Barbara, CA. Aug 15, 2013.
- Priming Effects on Visual Scene Search by Jared Bruhn, Carlos Torres, and B. S. Manjunath. University of California Santa Barbara, INSET Undergraduate Symposium, Santa Barbara, CA. Aug 11, 2011.
- Use of CD Spectroscopy to Assess the Biocompatibility of Silica-Based Materials. Daryl K. Eggers, Gary R. Abel, Jr., Phillip J. Calabretta, Mitchell C. Chancellor, Carlos Torres. Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, 2010. Seattle, WA. Apr 21–24, 2010.
- Effects of Surface Chemistry on the Structure of Apomyoglobin in a Confined Environment. Phillip J. Calabretta, Carlos Torres, and Daryl K. Eggers.USA-Mexico Workshop in Biological Chemistry, CINVESTAV Mexico D.F., Mex. Mar 25–27, 2009.
- Autonomous Object Placement using Force and Torque Sensors. Carlos Torres, Cressel D. Anderson, A. Jain, and Charles C. Kemp. National Institutes of Health (NIH) Annual Biomedical Research Conf. for Minority Students (ABRCMS), Orlando, FL. Nov 5–8, 2008.
- Adsorption of Cytochrome c and Apomyoglobin to Modified Silica Glasses. Carlos Torres and Daryl K. Eggers. American Chemical Society (ACS), Undergraduate Research Symposium, Santa Clara, CA. May 03, 2008.
- Protein Adsorption and Conformation in Hydrophobic Nanoporous Silica-based Sol-Gel Glasses. A.R.W. Gilbert, Carlos Torres, Daryl K. Eggers, and B Menaa. CSU Biotechnology Symposium, Oakland, CA. Jan 11–12, 2008.